Champaign and Vermilion Counties Included in Federal Agriculture Disaster Area Designation

Several Illinois counties, including Champaign and Vermilion, are now eligible for low-interest emergency loans due to heavy rains and flooding that occurred in June and July.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture, in response to a request made by Governor Bruce Rauner, has declared a disaster designation for 87 counties and an additional 14 contiguous counties that suffered losses due to rain and flooding earlier this spring and summer. As a result of the designation, farmers in the affected areas can take advantage of low-interest Farm Service Agency loans to cover part of the damages and losses that occurred in June and July. Farmers have eight months to apply for the loans.

Counties eligible for assistance include: Adams, Alexander, Bond, Brown, Calhoun, Carroll, Cass, Champaign, Clark, Clay, Clinton, Crawford, Cumberland, DeKalb, DeWitt, Douglas, DuPage, Edwards, Effingham, Fayette, Ford, Franklin, Fulton, Gallatin, Greene, Grundy, Hamilton, Hancock, Hardin, Henderson, Henry, Iroquois, Jackson, Jasper, Jefferson, Jersey, Johnson, Kane, Kankakee, Knox, LaSalle, Lawrence, Lee, Livingston, Logan, McDonogh, McLean, Macon, Macoupin, Madison, Marion, Marshall, Mason, Massac, Menard, mercer, Monroe, Montgomery, Morgan, Peoria, Perry, Piatt, Pike, Pope, Pulaski, Putnam, Randolph, Richland, Rock Island, St. Clair, Saline, Sangamon, Schuyler, Scott, Stark, Tazewell, Union, Vermilion, Wabash, Warren, Washington, Wayne, White, Whiteside, Will, Williamson and Woodford.

Counties named as contiguous disaster counties eligible for assistance include: Boone, Bureau, Christian, Coles, Cook, Edgar, Jo Daviess, Kendall, McHenry, Moultrie, Ogle, Shelby, Stephenson and Winnebago.

Farmers from these counties are encouraged to contact their local Farm Service Agency if they have questions. Loan applications are considered on a case-by-case basis, taking into account the extent of losses, security available and applicant’s repayment ability. Those with additional questions can also contact the state FSA office at (217) 241-6600. Additional information can be found at the USDA’s Farm Service Agency web site.